Posts for tag: blood pressure
Preventing Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
Deep vein thrombosis is a blood clot that forms in the deep veins of the legs most commonly, but can also occur in the veins of the upper extremities. That is because the blood clot, which usually forms in a calf or thigh deep veins can partially or completely block blood flow back to the heart and cause damage to the one-way valves in the veins.
The clot can also break free and travel through your blood to major organs, such as your lungs, which can be fatal. By visiting your podiatrist in Sammamish, WA you can better understand DVT and how to properly prevent it from occurring.
To lower your risk and help prevent deep vein thrombosis, follow these important steps:
- Maintain an active lifestyle and exercise daily.
- Manage your weight by exercising and eating a healthy diet.
- If you smoke, it is important to quit.
- Check your blood pressure regularly, and check steps to lower it if necessary.
- Report any family or personal history of blood-clotting problems to our office
- Discuss alternatives to birth control pills or hormone-replacement therapy
- If you are on an airplane for more than 4 hours, either walk or do leg stretches in your seat and also stay well hydrated and avoid alcohol consumption.
Visit Dr. Howard Schaengold of Plateau Foot & Ankle Clinic for further information on deep vein thrombosis and for more tips on how to prevent DVT from developing. Schedule an apointment with us online.